Dream big or go home!

I love to read, but at the end of the day i love writing more! Sharing my writing adventures one at a time!

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Shedding some light on an already enlightened subject!

     Last summer I finished my very first full length novel. Naturally I did what any overzealous rookie writer does; I started querying! This was it; I was going to get this book published! Well, eight rejections later I stopped and looked over what I was sending out and had to admit, it looked pretty bad. So I revised, and revised, and revised… Long story short, I wasn’t ready. Not only was I revising the query, I was revising the story. Now if you’ve done your homework you know that’s a big no, no.

     Now there are so many writers out there wondering what is the secret formula to getting published. We’re all like the plankton’s of the publishing industry! (Give me a break, I’m a mom!) I’ve had to come to the conclusion on my own, there is no secret. No one is secretly giggling manically while rejecting wonderful novels. (Well, if they are they’re doing it behind closed doors.)

     The truth of the matter is there are some hard working, wonderful agents out there who take time out of their busy lives to give aspiring authors advice, because they want more great writers. I have the one I follow like a religion on the side bar over thereà. The only secret to getting published is hard work. If you aren’t willing to put in hours, days, weeks, months, years, than you might not be willing to be published. Hey, no one said this was going to be easy! The best advice I have read, is master your craft!

      People never stop learning; I am such a better writer than the excited woman that was querying last year. I’m still learning, and it’s exciting! There really is no room for self-pity in the world, let alone the literary world! There is so much information out there to help you. You just have to commit, and research! You have to research for your book, or stories, you have to research formatting and editing, you have to research agents and publishers.

     Now the very first thing I looked up was a book one of my very favorite authors Janet Evanovich, How I Write. If you’ve read it you know it’s full of helpful tips, if you haven’t, you should look into it! Or check out your favorite authors blog, or website, you’d be surprised how many of them actually take time out to help aspiring authors. Another helpful tool is critique groups, if you have one, use it. If you don’t, find one! NaNoWriMo.org is a great site to check out and connect with writers in your area. Also http://critiquecircle.com/about.asp Is a nice online critique site!

     So now that I am done rambling, I would like to share today a story structure that helps keep me focused. (Sometimes we tend to wander) If your story follows this structure I think it’s safe to say that you’re off to a good start. Even though you probably know it, sometimes we need a reminder, or at least I did. I hope this helps, and I will be posting advice from my findings, and maybe just some rambling once a week. (Hopefully)

1)    Setting

2)    Trigger

3)    Quest

4)    Surprise

5)    Critical choice

6)    Climax

7)    Reversal

8)    resolution